Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Lots to update...





So I've started posts several times in the past two months to update what's been going on with life--my thoughts on the adoption not happening, how the pregnancy was progressing (everything was normal except she stayed tranverse until close to the end, then turned breech for a c-section), and how Isla was preparing to be a big sister. 

Guess I'm not going to get those posts written. I think the pics sum it up though--Sierra Rose joined us at 11:14 pm on December 11. She was 7 pounds and 19 inches. 

My water broke that afternoon in the car, P was in surgery, I had to call mom to stay with Isla, then we waited for about 3 hours at the hospital to get an ultrasound.  They got her out of there fast though once we found out I wasn't going to be able to push her.  Dr S isn't a surgeon but the OB on call was who I would have picked to do the surgery if I'd had a choice and Dr S was there to assist her. The nerve block was weird but I didn't feel anything other than movement. Patrick said Dr C had difficulty finding Sierra in there. 

Recovery has been easier than I expected--not driving for 2 weeks was hard (I made it about 10 days), not lifting Isla is still hard, and I know I lift too much carrying the baby, her carrier, and the diaper bag. There are a couple organizing projects I was to do while I'm off work but they have to wait until P won't get on to me for lifting things. 

Breast feeding hasn't gone any better this time than the first other than I decided I wasn't going to stress about it so when she lost more weight than they like, her bilirubin was going up, and she hadn't had a pee diaper all day the day we got home from the hospital, I told P I just wanted her to have a full belly. She drinks formula like a piggy and gets some pumped breast milk each day. Apparently actual breast feeding isn't a warm and fuzzy activity for me. This time I can say that's ok and move on.

There's lots more I want to write so I have it in the future--she was 4 ounces and an inch and a quarter over birth at her 2 week check up!--but my yogurt has been sitting here next to me for almost 2 hours so it's time for breakfast. 

But first, I have to share what Isla said yesterday as we sat on her bed. I was giving Sierra a bottle and Isla had climbed on me, hugging me, looking at her baby sister. "Momma, we have a great fam-il-ly."  Yes, indeed baby girl. We do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment