Tuesday, January 5, 2010

37 weeks....full term!

Isla measured 8 pounds, 5 ounces today on ultrasound. Even if the measurement is off by a pound, she's going to be a big baby if she waits 3 more weeks. The doctor covering the maternal fetal med clinic at the hospital today told me to come back in 2 weeks if I'm still pregnant and they'd check another ultrasound.

Meanwhile she was head down today--yeah!!!--and my amniotic fluid levels haven't risen anymore. He said they classify the levels as mild, moderate, or severe based on the measurement and I'm on the borderline between mild and severe. Um, wouldn't between mild and severe BE moderate? I think he misspoke. Anyway, this doctor was very reassuring that things are going to happen in whatever time frame they happen in and that there's absolutely no reason not to just let nature take its course and let Isla do whatever she decides to do. The fluid might be an issue, might not. Her size might be an issue, might not. She might flip back around, might not. No need to worry about any of it, just know that when things start happening, they'll deal with whatever comes up. There's no reason to assume I can't have a vaginal delivery just like Mother Nature designed things, but the overall goal is healthy mom, healthy baby and if she doesn't engage or she's breech again or her head is too big for my pelvis, a c-section is fine. Just focus on healthy mom, healthy baby.

He was also very reassuring that everything he'd seen on my ultrasound and past ultrasounds suggested no reason for the fluid and he's confident that I fall into the unknown reasons category and its frequently bigger babies that have the excess fluid.

So its time to hurry up and wait. Everything in the house is ready. P's had January 12th in his head for awhile. On December 14th I said it was going to be one more month and she'll come January 14th. Now that those dates are next week, I'm thinking more January 18th. I know its possible and all first time moms think they're not going to go to 40 weeks, but I really hope she doesn't end up over 10 pounds.

Overall I'm feeling much better than I was week and 2 weeks ago. Working 20 hours a week has helped with the fluid retention TREMENDOUSLY, allowed me to get much more rest, and just generally allowed me to decompress a bit. And I feel enough better during the 20 hours I'm at work that I'm probably getting more accomplished than I was in 40 hours before.

Oh, but I do hope she doesn't decide to come this weekend. P's on call all weekend. Watch him get called in for surgery at 3:00 Sunday morning and my water break at 4:00 and I have to track him down!

I haven't looked at the pics from today's ultrasound yet. If any of them are good, I'll post some after while. The tech was amazed by how much hair Isla has--apparently its thick and long.

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment