Friday, April 9, 2010

Baby bulimia

I know there are many things in the world that are troublesome: drugs, alcohol, abuse… And I know there will be challenges ahead with raising Miss Isla. I don't know when I have to stop listening to Kid Rock when she's in the car or when Patrick has to stop watching violent movies if she's next to him in her bouncy but we plan to do our best to shield her from social pressures, raise her to be actively involved in church, and encourage her to discuss things with us as they come up. I thought we had some time to enjoy her childhood before worrying about the societal pressures children face. I was wrong.

Baby bulimia. A new social epidemic.

After a day of fairly hearty eating with MiMi, I came home to happy baby. We played last night, we took a bath, we went to bed and slept 6 hours before we woke up. It was joyous. I was tired but I felt like I can do this working mommy thing.

But an evil was lurking in our midst. Apparently Miss Isla felt like yesterday's food intake was at binge levels. This morning she was playing in my arms, cooing, smiling, and sucking her fingers. I'd take her fingers out and stick her pacifier in--I'd rather she take the paci than the fingers because it will be easier to take away from her when the time comes. We're just sitting there, loving each other, enjoying each other. Then she decided to purge. As she sucked on those long fingers she got from mommy, she quickly slipped them further in her mouth and suddenly I saw the gag reflex kick in. Up came a little bit of the bottle she'd just taken. Then more. Lots more. She purged all of breakfast. Luckily mommy got pretty good at liquid containment when Isla was having so much reflux. It was all over mommy and baby, but just a drop got anywhere else.

This was different than the reflux--that never bothered her. This came from somewhere else and it scared her. She started to cry. Mommy cuddled her a few minutes to help calm her down, then MiMi took her to change Isla's clothes as mommy went and changed hers. Usually laying her on her changing table is a calming mechanism for her, but she fussed a few more minutes as MiMi cleaned up breakfast. We both got changed and mommy had a few more minutes to love on her before she had to leave for work. Happy baby was back by the time I left. Hopefully she'll binge on the bottle again today but we'll be able to stave off the purging tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness.
    i just started following you, i found your link on babycenter january birth club.
    and im so sorry about your babies eating probems! i hope she gets better soon, and feels a lot better.

    ReplyDelete